A TASTE OF AFRICA
“Jambo! Welcome to Africa.” (jambo = hello in Swahili) Venture to the far-away continent of Africa at Animal Kingdom… and become immersed in the aromas and tastes of this exotic land. Harambe Marketplace serves up African inspired street food accented with regional flavors and spices in an open air market setting.
Built around a Colonial Era train depot design, Harambe Market is reminiscent of an African village marketplace… aged and weathered to appear authentic. The Wildlife Express Train that rumbles by regularly on its way to Rafiki’s Planet Watch adds to the ambience.
Disney paid incredible attention to detail… including the old water tower… and paraphernalia scattered atop buildings and in corners… typical of an African village. People who have traveled to Africa have said that Disney Imagineers got it “spot on”!
There are four establishments here, each offering distinctive menus… all with an African flair…
- 1. “Kitamu Grill”
- Beef & Lamb or Chicken Gyro — Served on Naan Bread topped with Tzatziki Sauce & African Slaw
- 2. “Famous Boerewor’s Sausages” (boerewor = South African sausage)
- Pork Spicy Sausage — Served on Naan Bread topped with Curry Onion Relish
- 3. “Chef Mwanga’s Ribs”
- Grilled Rib or Chicken Bowls — Served on Cilantro Rice topped with Salsa
- Also featured is a unique African dessert…
- Most Beautiful Cake — Coconut Cake with Coconut Mousse & Pineapple
- 4. “Wanjohl Refreshments” (wanjohl = “brewer” in Swahili) featuring…
- Leopard’s Eye — Frozen Kiwi Mango Drink (Bibo) with Snow Leopard Vodka
- Serengeti Sangria — with South African Van der Hum Tangerine Liqueur
- Pina Colada Shave Ice — with optional Parrot Bay Rum
- Sparberry — Tart & Tangy Raspberry Soda from Zimbabwe
- Bibo — Kiwi Mango Soda from South Africa
Relax, cool off and enjoy your meal in the shaded area with umbrella tables amidst the bustling outdoor marketplace atmosphere. We chose Harambe Marketplace as one of the Disney Must-See Spots. Journey to Africa at Animal Kingdom and see if you agree…